Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thank God for there being rocks in my child's head.

When I filled out the hospital ER admittance card last night, the problem I wrote down first was this.  "My daughter has rocks in her head".  I scratched out head and replaced it with "ears", but I think I was right the first time.

It's funny how things happen, though.  One of my daughter's teachers was there with her husband, who was obviously in pain.  With them was their 5 year old daughter, Summer.  Any parent who has been in this position, at the hospital, spouse in need of attention, with child in tow, is aware of just how hard this is.

My daughter and I moved to be closer to Summer when we saw that the mom was really working to get her husband help.  My daughter spent time entertaining the child with a puzzle book.  My wife met us there, and it was my wife that went back with my daughter.  (It's a girl thing, I'm just Dad.  lol)

So, I volunteered to sit in the waiting room with this child.  She was a sweetheart.  I got her some crackers, she declined soda as her mom won't let her have it.  We discussed the fact she was a vampire("You know, just like Edward.").  lol  It was about 2 hours before Grandma came and took her home.  (We have to go to an ENT today to get the last rock out of my child's head... er... ear.)

The mom kept saying,"Thanks so much, I will repay you."  I still wonder this: repay me for what?  Getting to enjoy some time with your awesome little girl?  Nah.  Getting the "warm fuzzies" for being able to help another parent in a tough time?  No.  It was worth every second.  I'm just so thankful we could be there to help, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment